Wednesday 4 March 2009

Animal communication

Communication is defined as a two-way process in which there is an exchange and progression of thoughts, feelings or ideas towards a mutually accepted goal or direction.

Types of communication:
There are three major parts in human face to face communication which are body language, voice tonality, and words. According to the research:
55% of impact is determined by body language--postures, gestures, and eye contact,
38% by the tone of voice, and
7% by the content or the words used in the communication process.


Although the exact percentage of influence may differ from variables such as the listener and the speaker, communication as a whole strives for the same goal and thus, in some cases, can be universal. System of signals, such as voice sounds, intonations or pitch, gestures or written symbols which communicate thoughts or feelings. If a language is about communicating with signals, voice, sounds, gestures, or written symbols, can animal communications be considered as a language? Animals do not have a written form of a language, but use a language to communicate with each another. In that sense, an animal communication can be considered as a separate language.


Animal communication is any behaviour on the part of one animal that has an effect on the current or future behavior of another animal. Of course, human communication can be subsumed as a highly developed form of animal communication. The study of animal communication, called zoosemiotics' (distinguishable from anthroposemiotics, the study of human communication) has played an important part in the development of ethology, sociobiology, and the study of animal cognition. This is quite evident as humans are able to communicate with animals especially dolphins and other animals used in circuses however these animals have to learn a special means of communication. Animal communication, and indeed the understanding of the animal world in general, is a rapidly growing field, and even in the 21st century so far, many prior understandings related to diverse fields such as personal symbolic name use, animal emotions, animal culture and learning, and even sexual conduct, long thought to be well understood, have been revolutionized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication
http://www.flickr.com/photos/y-its-mom_pics_of_wyatt/2604951424/

Here you can see dolphins communication. How mother teach her child to live in Ocean, and you can hear dolphins voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsk4u0IMmTE&eurl=http://video.google.pl/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&hl=pl&rlz=1T4GZHY_plPL229PL229&q=dolphin

I think it's very interesting, there are so many way to communication, and in fact not only human can communit together. I suppose, everyone who has got some animals at home, can read their emotion. Am I wright? I almost always know when my cat want to play, or eat. Animals can show it. :)

19 comments:

  1. At first of all communication in the world of animals is a basic think. Every genre has it's own type of signs or sounds. For me the most incredible communication has whales. Whales make use ultra sound which can spread for many kilometers in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karolina, you’re right. Pets are very good in communicating with people. For example, once my dog took offended with me because I was playing with my cat. He knew exactly how to manifest his anger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it is true, if you know really good your animal and if you can read its behaviour. For example I always know when my fish Zbigniew is hungry. Animals are very emotional and sensitive, my dog Spike tries to hug me if I am sad, therefore I think we understand each other without words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very good when you understand your's pet but it will be amazing when someday we learn animals language (perhaps dogs)and well comprehend what they're say to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think that yours animal can show you through his behaviour what he wants. I have not got any animal, but I know that is true, becouse my friend has a very nice dog, who is her the best friend, and they understand each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is natural that there are some ways of communicating between animals and I'm convinced that they use their bodies as a way of communicating with themselves as well as with us. The good question is if they understand our behaviours and if they understand what we want to tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that they understend us. I have a dog. He know when I am happy or sad than he also change his behaviour. I have to say anything- he know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, animal communicators offer people a way to achieve that by finding out how their animal thinks and feels about life, about you and if they have any special needs or problems that need addressing. It allows a greater understanding, cooperation, and happiness in what usually develops into a deeper bond or relationship between animal and human.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Animals are very emotional and sensitive and they have no problem to comunicate with people another words. I always knaw what my dog wants for me and how is feel for exemple when is hungry (Always!) or when she want to play with me(also Always!). And I know that she also know what I want to tell her(of coures if she want) or how I'm feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion animals especially dogs are very inteligence becouse they very fast learn tricks and feel your emotions, for example they scare when you angry, they come when you sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that animals can making comunication beter that people. They making comunication when one of them is far far away than second. For example dogs: when it mades "hauuu" another dogs(they are another street or vilage) can answer this lanugage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's true! When I look at my dog I know what ot want at the moment.
    But my friend, who has at home, 4 lizards, 2 snakes and cat knows what is a animal language :) When one of lizards wave a paw - it means: "I want go to your table". When a cat see one of these reptiles on her hands, it sits neht to her and poke her its paw - it means: "Now it is my turn!". Sometimes, when she is sitting in room, all reptiles-eyes are looking at she - it means: "Feed me!". It's amazing :) She say, that she knew animal-language better than English :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As the animals were first at the earth, they created theirs languages a long long time ago. Human haven't yet got to know and understood them. Hovewer they perceive theirs languages as superiors that the animal ways of cummunicating. Can we think like that? It's possible that the animal system of communicating is far more developped than our but we will never be capables to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think animal communication is specific type of human imagination, and also zoosemiotic for me is so unclear science. In my opinion communication between animal and man doesn't exist, becouse we belive only, that our animals try to "say" something to us- but it is a particular wish to communicate. Communication exist ony in situation when we have something common with somebody, it's simple thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that communication between people and animal exist. Especially we can see this when we watch people who work with animals. It's a sepciale kind of connection between humanbeeing and animal. But also we can see this when we observe our pets. We know when our pet is sad or feels good or when it commes to as because we are sad. I belive in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion animals are understand a people, dogs quite understand people language , dolphins also , so animals obviously understand us , mayby someday we also could understand animals communication

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In my opinion, animals communicate between themselves and they communicate with us. For example, we know when our dogs want eat or go for a walk. Animals are inteligent and they understand us. I can say we understand animals now because they can give any information to us. I agree with opinion that maybe in the future we could understand our pets better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand you very well when you said about behaviour yours pets. I know my cat Fucia inside and out. I know when she is bad, when sad, when she want to play. This is due to her behavior but also with miaow - I know her language very well. I always laugh when Fucia asks us to release the court (and, for example, there's a bad weather) it is then miaow such pretentious:) She has thes so sweet look:)

    ReplyDelete